3.15.2013

date coconut & banana granola


Oh my lanta, you guys. I'm so obsessed with granola. Since the first time I made it, I think it's quite clear I've become totally hooked. I just love everything about it... The process of throwing everything but the kitchen sink into a big 'ol bowl, the smell of everything baking together in the oven, the amount of variations you could make. It's all so magical. 



When I made this granola, I had no idea what kind it was going to be. I just kind of start off with a base of oats, honey, oil, and spices, then throw in whatever mixins I can scrounge up from the cupboard. The beauty of granola at it's finest. 


The combination of sweet coconut, chewy dates, and crunchy banana chips in this granola is definitely one of my favorites I've ever made. As for as texture, it's got a lot going on and is bulky enough to eat by the handful. But if you must be so refined as to eat it with a SPOON in a bowl with some milk or yogurt and fruit, that'd be dandy too. Either way, you get some stinking amazing granola! Win win. 

OOH one more thing. This recipe makes a kinda sorta midget batch of granola because I was aaaaaaaalmost out of oats. However, you still get a good couple bowls out of it and it's kind of nice not having a jar of sitting around for a week. Feel free to multiply the recipe though! The more granola the better!


date coconut & banana granola

1 c. oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. honey
1/3 c. coconut
1/2 c. pitted dates, roughly chopped
1/2 c. banana chips, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl,  combine the oats, cinnamon, and coconut. Add in the olive oil, honey, and vanilla. Bake for 10 minutes and add the banana chips and dates. Bake for another 10-15 minute or until golden brown. Once cooled, store in an airtight container or jar. If desired, serve with milk or yogurt and fruit. 


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking a moment or two of your time to leave a comment! I love 'em!